Our trading is conducted in an economic, social and ecological way
In an industry characterised by great structural change, the Tönnies holding company has grown dynamically over recent decades in spite of fierce competition. Today, the family company is one of the largest slaughter and processing companies for pigs and cattle, and is also the market leader in Germany.
This market position obliges us, even more than before, to consider the social and ecological consequences of our actions, as well as the economic implications, and to agree these with the stakeholders.
Main site of the Tönnies Group in Rheda-Wiedenbrück
We engage in a sustainability dialogue with our stakeholders
Tönnies has always presented its position on various sustainability issues such as animal welfare, working conditions and resource consumption to the public sphere and faced critical dialogue.
In doing so, we have always accepted responsibility for our actions. Values such as reliability, fairness, respect and openness are thus embedded in our strategy:
Our handshake is binding. The Tönnies handshake mentality is known to customers, employees and partners and is a strong sign of trust. This is why we always honour our agreements.
As a family company, we think in generations. Our actions are fair and binding. For us, it is not short-term profits that are important but rather medium- and long-term, financially successful development based on fairness towards customers, employees and partners. Transparent, traceable and honest conduct thus characterises our actions.
People from many different countries work in our company. Our customers and business partners are also spread around the world. Respect is our benchmark and requirement when interacting with each other. Position, nationality, language, religion and sexual orientation do not play a role. Our maxim is instead respectful cooperation on an equal footing. And this also applies with regard to animals and the environment.
With our internet-based sustainability dialogue, we now want to move from cause-related discussion to the systematic and permanent reporting of our work. In doing so, we will not just report on our goals and successes but also broach the challenges and obstacles in an open, respectful and fair manner.
In addition, we will open an issue-based offer of dialogue in which all interested parties can ask questions on the respective topics. We will answer the questions and publish them on the dialogue platform.
As we place high demands on our information, we will expand and constantly update the communication in not just one but several phases until mid-2019. We are looking forward to an open dialogue!
This is what we stand for
- Tönnies stands for enjoyable nutrition with meat. With efficiency, innovation, and committed employees and partners, we offer our customers high-quality products, the best service, and an outstanding price-to-performance ratio.
- Owners and management pursue financial success based on a responsibility towards people, animals and the environment.
- Sustainability is characterised by goal and distribution conflicts. Tönnies will enter into the related discussions with openness, respect and fairness. We will constantly develop the standards of good company management with our sustainability team and in collaboration with our partners for the benefit of people, animals and the environment – today and in the future.
- Tönnies takes responsibility for the entire value creation chain, from feed production for animals to the consumption of the products by end consumers. However, outside of its own processes, the company relies on the cooperation of its partners. The focus of sustainability efforts is thus initially on the company’s direct sphere of influence; however, our partners are included as much as possible.
- The company is committed to its homeland; however, as a global company, we are making every effort to achieve the UN Sustainable Development Goals 2015–2030.